Brooklyn Allied Bars and Restaurants (BABAR) is a regional organization in North Brooklyn’s Community Board 1, working to actively serve the interests of bar and restaurant operators by providing mentoring, advocacy, infrastructure assistance and regulatory advice. We hope to educate, inspire and support bar and restaurant owners as a whole by pooling our collective resources.
To provide our members with the tools and resources to effectively sustain and grow their businesses. As active members of our community, we are committed to strengthening and supporting the economic and social development of our neighborhood. Our combined efforts will make bar and restaurant owners more visible and respected within the broader community.
BABAR was established in October of 2011 by Christina Bouza ( Cubana Social), Felice Kirby (Teddy’s), Sam DiStefano (Nita Nita), Dave Rosen (The Woods), Alyssa Abeta (Hotel Delmano, Union Pool).
So far to date we have:
- Met with the NY State State Liquor Authority Commissioner and Assemblyman Joe Lentol;
- Met with leadership from Community Board One’s Public Safety Committee;
- Organized an educational on Department Of Health inspection standards;
- Met with agencies whose practices impact our business: NYPD precinct’s 90 & 94 commanders and, in collaboration with Northside Merchants Association, met with State Senator Squadron, Councilman Steve Levin and elected District Leaders, to fight shut downs of the L and G trains.
- Created a vetted list of reliable contractors, repair people, services.